Police Life Insurance - Constabulary
Being a Police Officer is both challenging and rewarding, however there are always risks.
The New Zealand Police Constabulary Group Life Insurance Policy recognises these risks by providing Life, Total and Permanent Disablement and Critical Illness insurance cover. Subsidised by the New Zealand Police and subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions, the Policy provides:
- 24 hour worldwide cover.
- A lump sum Benefit in the event of Death, Critical Illness or Total and Permanent Disablement.
Administered by Police Welfare Fund Insurances Limited, the cover is underwritten by AIA New Zealand, part of the AIA Group, one of the world’s leading insurance companies.
A summary of the cover provided by New Zealand Police Constabulary Group Life Insurance is set out below. This is subject to change and you should refer to the Policy wording for details of the cover provided. Any word or expression defined under the Policy will have the same meaning wherever it appears here.
Life or Terminal Illness Benefit
A Life Benefit is payable upon the death or Diagnosis of a Terminal Illness of the Insured Person.
Critical Illness Benefit
A Critical Illness Benefit is provided for the Insured Person who, because of a Critical Illness, leaves the Police under section 74 or 76 of the Policing Act 2008, providing:
- medical attention and/or advice from a Medical Practitioner about any symptom of the Critical Illness was sought before the age of 60; and
- the symptoms of the Critical Illness first manifested themselves after the date of joining the Police; and
- the Critical Illness is one of the defined conditions set out below:
Total and Permanent Disablement Benefit
A Total and Permanent Disablement Benefit is provided if an Insured Person leaves the Police under section 74 or 76 of the Policing Act 2008, due to being Totally and Permanently Disabled (as defined in the Policy).
24-Hour Worldwide Cover
Cover is provided anywhere in the world for all Insured Persons normally residing in New Zealand, and for those temporarily residing overseas (subject to continued premium payment) for up to 5 years.
The Benefit payable to an Insured Person who is a member of the Police Welfare Fund Limited is:
Up to 64 years
• 10% of your Annual Salary multiplied by the number of complete years remaining until 65 years of age or the Minimum Benefit; if this is greater.
Between the ages of 64 and 70 years
• 10% of your Annual Salary, or the Minimum Benefit, if this is greater.
The Police Welfare Fund provides additional cover for its members. If you are not a member you are not eligible for the Partner Cover or Psychological Conditions Benefit and the Benefits payable are reduced to 70% of the Benefits payable to Police Welfare Fund members.
Extra Benefits for Members of the Police Welfare Fund Limited
Police Welfare Fund Limited members can nominate a Partner for Partner Cover. The Benefit payable upon the death of a partner is:
- 60% of the Insured Person’s Life Benefit at the time of death of the Partner, or 60% of the Minimum Benefit; whichever is greater.
Psychological Conditions Benefit
Police Welfare Fund members are eligible for reasonable costs up to $1,200 for rehabilitation if they leave the Police because of a psychological condition. This recognises the need to support members who suffer from these conditions. NZ Police and Police Welfare Fund meet these costs jointly and full details are available from Police Welfare Fund Insurances Limited.
Term of Cover
Unless terminated prior, cover ceases for all Insured Persons on their 70th birthday, or the date on which a Benefit is paid, or their last day of duty in the New Zealand Police.
To download a copy of the NZ Police Constabulary Group Life Insurance brochure please click here.