Police Life Insurance - Sworn
Being a Police Officer is both challenging and rewarding, however there are always risks.
The New Zealand Sworn Police Life Insurance Policy recognises these risks by providing Life, Total and Permanent Disablement and Critical Illness insurance cover. Subsidised by the New Zealand Police and subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions, the Policy provides:
- 24 hours a day cover.
- A lump sum Benefit in the event of Death, Critical Illness or Total and Permanent Disablement.
- Worldwide cover while on NZ Police duties.
Administered by Police Welfare Fund Insurances Limited, the cover is underwritten by AIA, a member of American International Group, the world’s leading insurance and financial services company.
A summary of the cover provided by New Zealand Sworn Police Insurance is set out below. This is subject to change and you should refer to the Policy wording for details of the cover provided. Any word or expression defined under the Policy will have the same meaning wherever it appears here.
Life or Terminal Illness Benefit
A life Benefit is payable upon the death or Diagnosis of a Terminal Illness of the Insured Person.
Critical Illness Benefit
A Critical Illness Benefi t is provided for the Insured Person who because of a Critical Illness leaves the Police under section 74 or 76 of the Policing Act 2008, providing:
- medical attention and/or advice from a Medical Practitioner about any symptom of the Critical Illness was sought before the age of 60; and
- the symptoms of the Critical Illness first manifested themselves after the date of joining the Police; and
- the Critical Illness is one of the defined conditions set out below:
Total and Permanent Disablement Benefit
A Total and Permanent Disablement Benefit is provided if an Insured Person leaves the Police under section 74 or 76 of the Policing Act 2008, due to being Totally and Permanently Disabled (as defined in the Policy).
24-Hour Worldwide Cover
Cover is provided anywhere in the world while on New Zealand Police duties.
The Benefit payable to an Insured Person who is a member of the Police Welfare Fund Limited is:
Up to 64 years
• 10% of your Annual Salary multiplied by the number of whole years until 65 years of age or the Minimum Benefit; whichever is greater.
Between the ages of 64 and 70 years
• 10% of your Annual Salary, or the Minimum Benefit; whichever is greater.
The Police Welfare Fund provides additional cover for its members. If you are not a member you are not eligible for the Partner Cover or Psychological Conditions Benefit and the Benefits payable are reduced to 70% of the Benefits payable to Police Welfare Fund members.
Extra Benefits for Members of the Police Welfare Fund Limited
Police Welfare Fund Limited members can nominate a Partner for life cover. The Benefit payable upon the death of a partner is:
- 50% of the Insured Person’s Life Benefit at the time of death of the Partner, or 50% of the Minimum Benefit; whichever is greater.
Psychological Conditions Benefit
Although psychological conditions are excluded (except for cases of Total and Permanent Disablement) Police Welfare Fund Limited members are eligible for reasonable costs, up to $1,200, for rehabilitation if they leave the Police because of a psychological condition. This recognises the need to support members who suffer from these conditions. NZ Police and Police Welfare Fund Limited meet these costs jointly and full details are available from Police Welfare Fund Insurances Limited.
Term of Cover
Unless terminated prior, cover ceases for all Insured Persons on their 70th birthday or their last day of duty in the New Zealand Police.
To download a copy of the NZ Sworn Police Life Insurance brochure please click here.